Friday, 26 September 2014

Micro Crochet Dragon

I think everybody is pretty fascinated by dragons when they first hear about them but I think I first fell in love with dragons when I watched the animation The Flight of Dragons when I was a kid in the 80s. It was a pretty awesome movie - it had talking dragons that came in all different types and sizes, as well as wizards, knights, a beautiful princess, James Earl Jones, even a Don McLean song! (You want to find this movie and watch it right now, don't you?) I haven’t seen it in years but I’m guessing the animation may seem clunky by today’s standards. Still, so many fond memories.

Why am I writing about this, you’re asking, well, I’ve made a dragon. He has a wing span of 9cm/3.5in and a of length 9.5cm/3.7in.






Even though he’s not that small, I class him as a micro project. I made him from rayon embroidery thread and polyester thread, using my 0.4mm crochet hook. I used 28 gauge jewellery wire throughout his body and wings so that he can be posed. I found the rayon thread to be quite weak - I had several thread breaks (paired with several minor panic attacks). I liked using the rayon for the wings because it made a nice fabric, it's more flexible than polyester, but I think from now on I’m going to stick mostly to polyester for the micro projects.

Some progress photos:








I’m aiming to make two more dragons by the end of October (I’m thinking black/gold and blue/white at the moment). I’m planning on listing these dragons in my Etsy store when they are done. I’ve also started on the large, disembodied head I mentioned in my last post. I will keep you posted on all projects.


Cheers, guys!

K.

P. S. There is no pattern for this dragon. I will not write up patterns for my micro projects mainly because I don't believe they would translate well into patterns.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...