Monday, 5 January 2015

Micro Rose

So the blog is long overdue for a post … Let’s see, I’ve got a photo of a very small crochet project to share. I’ve got Awesome Mix Vol. 1 turned up loud and on repeat. All nerdy desk ornaments are in order, and dachshund mix, Oscar, has assumed the I-don’t-care-if-you-step-on-me position. Yep, I’m ready. Let’s do this, people.

First off, Happy New Year! I hope you all had a safe end to 2014 and are having a fantastic and creative start to 2015. Here in Perth we are having a stinking hot start to the new year — it was 44°C/111°F today. Let's face it, it’s not the best crochet weather. Progress on my main project, a micro serpent dragon, is very slow -- crochet is on the back burner for me at the moment.

I did, however, manage to finish this piece.


It's a micro rose and was done as a test project for my new 0.35mm hook! I ordered the hook from Mainly Lace. I have to say, I was scared about using it when I first saw it. The neck is incredibly thin and I was sure I would break it on my first go but, to my nerdy-crochet joy, it survived! I’m very pleased with it but I’ll likely keep using my 0.4mm for the bodies of my micro amigurumis and reserve the 0.35mm for embellishments.

The rose bloom was simple to make. I crocheted one row of a basic wave pattern (starting with a foundation chain of 31, *sc, dc, 2dc, dc, sc* five times) which I then rolled and stitched together at the base. It's a common method for making a rose and there are lots of free patterns online that use this rolling technique. Here are a few you might want to take a look at:

Rose Embellishment with Leaves, Oombawka Design
Easy Rose Crochet Pattern, Skip to my Lou
Crochet Roses in 9 Steps, Hachi Yarns

The stem is a chain of about 15. My thread ends from the stem, sepals and leaves were woven back through the stem chain to give it some extra strength. Polyester sewing thread was used. The glass bottle is 2cm/0.8in tall, including the cork. You can find these types of bottles on eBay for a few dollars.

Okay, guys, I will leave it at that. I'll post again when the new micro dragon starts to take significant shape and is more than the lumpy worm it is at the moment. All the best.

K.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...